Tourist Destination Of
© Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace
The Municipality of Kyprinos, which is seated at Kyprinos, is situated to the north of the Prefecture of Evros, it covers an area of 87 km2 and has a population of 3,478. It is a primarily agricultural municipality and the smallest municipality of the Prefecture of Evros in terms of size and population. The municipality consists of the following villages: Kyprinos, Galini, Zoni, Mikri Doxipara, Chelidonos, Fylakio, Amovouno and Keramos.
Due to its location in the wider area of Thrace and the constant movement of populations and cultures, the Kyprinos area was an important crossroad. The settlement of Kyprinos dates from around 1860. The first settlement was situated close to the banks of river Ardas. In March 1931, the river flooded and the inhabitants were forced to build their village at its present site. The village owes its name to the carp, a fish commonly known as grivadi or sazani, because large populations of this fish live in river Ardas. River Ardas has its sources in the Rodopi mountain range; after flowing through Bulgarian territory for 216 km, it enters Greece at the village of Galini and crosses the greatest part of the Municipality of Kyprinos. River Ardas is an important ecosystem for the area and the forest that grows along the river’s bed is a habitat of national significance. The natural beauty of the area, which is dominated by water, is exceptional, and it is ideal for recreation and sports activities. Here visitors may savour the taste of delicious fish. The entire area comes under the Natura 2000 network. Today, large expanses are irrigated from the Ardas dam, which is located at the municipality’s borders and was built in 1969.
Visitors to the Municipality of Kyprinos have the opportunity to enjoy a number of natural landscapes and the area’s beautiful churches, while staying at the municipality’s hostels The archaeological site is 8 km far from Kyprinos, between Zoni and M. Doxipara. An impressive Roman coach-house has been discovered, as well as evidence of cremations along with the wagons and horses of the dead men, replete with vessels, jewellery, beads and bridles. Excavations unearthed these finds, which date to the 1st century AD and are of the most important in Evros.
The entire horizon, from the municipality’s easternmost to its westernmost borders, is occupied by a magnificent valley that fades softly into low-lying hills to the south.
The stunning meanders formed by river Ardas are a most impressive sight.
In the framework of funding for Integrated Rural Development Programmes, the municipality participates in a number of projects and actions, such as the annual organisation of the “Farmers Festival”.
Many restaurants and café-bars operate in the municipality, where visitors may savour local delicacies that have been prepared with the river’s delicious fish, such as sazania, Wels catfish, European chubs and myrianes.