Nestor Tsirliganis received his Bachelor’s Degree in Physics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 1986 and continued his studies, under a Fulbright Scholarship, at The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor (U.S.A.) from where he received a Master’s Degree in Nuclear Science in 1987 and a Ph.D. Degree in the same field in 1995. He specialized in nuclear measurements with emphasis on instruments and methods for neutron detection and measurement. During his graduate studies (1986-1994) he held a Research Assistant Appointment at the Nuclear Data Laboratory and a Teaching Assistant Appointment at the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences of The University of Michigan. During the 1996–1998 period he worked as an Associated Research Scientist in various projects regarding environmental dosimetry, at the Nuclear Engineering Laboratory of the Democritus University of Thrace. In 1999, as an external consultant, planned and organized the Archaeometry Laboratory of the Cultural and Educational Technology Institute (C.E.T.I.) in Xanthi, for the development and use of scientific techniques in order to extract archaeological and historical information from the cultural heritage. In 2002 he took the position of the Head of the Archaeometry Department (then Archaeometry Laboratory) at C.E.T.I., as Research Lecturer, position that holds till presently as Research Director at the same Institute, since 2007.
· luminescence dating of ceramics and sediments,
· luminescence measurement techniques,
· luminescence properties of minerals,
· applications of electromagnetic radiation and nuclear measurements for the investigation, preservation and authentication of cultural objects and art,
· applications of the information technologies in the study and dissemination of the cultural heritage.
· A.C. Charalambous, A.J. Sakalis, N.A. Kantiranis, L.C. Papadopoulou, N.C. Tsirliganis, J.A. Stratis. “Cypriot Byzantine Glazed Pottery: The study of Paphos Workshops”, Archaeometry, vol. 52 (4), 628–643 (2010).
· G. S. Polymeris, G. Kitis, A. K. Liolios, A. Sakalis, K. Zioutas, E. G. Anassontzis, N. C. Tsirliganis. “Luminescence dating of the top of a deep water core from the NESTOR site near the Hellenic Trench, east Mediterranean Sea”, Quaternary Geochronology, vol. 4, 68-81 (2009).
· G. S. Polymeris, A. Sakalis, D. N. Papadopoulou, G. Dallas, G. Kitis, N. C. Tsirliganis, “Firing temperature of pottery using TL and OSL techniques”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Special Issue “Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Radiation Physics”, vol. 580 (1), 747-750 (2007).
· D. Afouxenidis, E. C. Stefanaki, G. S. Polymeris, A. Sakalis, N. C. Tsirliganis, G. Kitis, “TL/OSL properties of natural schist for dating and retrospective dosimetry”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Special Issue “Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Radiation Physics”, vol. 580 (1), 705-709 (2007).
· D.N. Papadopoulou, G.A. Zachariadis, A. Anthemidis, N.C. Tsirliganis, J.A. Stratis, “Development and optimization of a portable micro-XRF method for in situ multi-element analysis of ancient ceramics”, Talanta, vol 68(5), 1692-1699 (2006).
· N.C. Tsirliganis, “Micro X-Ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy in Art and Archaeology”, (invited talk), 5th Aegean Analytical Chemistry Days, 5–8 October 2006, Thessaloniki-Greece.
· G. Kitis, N. Kiyak, G.S. Polymeris, N.C. Tsirliganis “The correlation of fast OSL component with the TL peak at 325oC in quartz of various origins”, Journal of Luminescence, vol. 130, 298-303 (2010).
· G.S. Polymeris, S. Raptis, D. Afouxenidis, N.C. Tsirliganis, G. Kitis, “Thermally assisted OSL from deep traps in Al2O3:C”, Radiation Measurements , vol. 45, 519-522 (2010).
· N. C. Tsirliganis, G. S. Polymeris, G. Kitis, and V. Pagonis “Dependence of the Anomalous Fading of the TL and Blue-OSL of Fluorapatite on the Occupancy of the Tunnelling recombination Sites”, Journal of Luminescence, vol. 126 (2), 303-308 (2007).
· G. S. Polymeris, G. Kitis, A. K. Liolios, N. C. Tsirliganis, K. Zioutas, “Minerals as Time - Integrating Luminescence Detectors for setting bounds on Dark Matter Particle Characteristics”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 562 (1), 207-213 (2006).
· E. Cruz-Zaragoza, C. Furetta, G. Kitis, B. Torres Gomez, G. S. Polymeris, N. Tsirliganis, and Z. Loukou, “Thermoluminescence characterization of the irradiated minerals extracted from nopal”, Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, vol 161(5), 267-278 (2006).
· E. G. Christodoulou, N. T. Tsirliganis, and G. F. Knoll, "Measurements Of The Differential Cross Sections For Elastic And Inelastic Scattering of 14 MeV Neutrons in Natural Chromium, Iron, Nickel And Niobium", Nuclear Science And Engineering, 132, pp 273–294 (1999).
· Tsionas Ioannis, Tsiafakis Despina, Stavroglou Konstantinos, Tsioukas Vasilis, Tsirliganis Nestoras, “Thesaurus: web map publishing of cultural heritage”, Spatial Information for Sustainable Management of Urban Area, 2 - 4 February 2009, Mainz-Germany.
· Tsionas Ioannis, Tsiafakis Despina, Stavroglou Konstantinos, Tsioukas Vasilis, Tsirliganis Nestoras, “3D GIS for the Archeological Excavation at Karambournaki, Thessaloniki”, Spatial Information for Sustainable Management of Urban Area, 2 - 4 February 2009, Mainz-Germany.
· G. Pavlidis, N. Tsirliganis, D. Tsiafakis, F. Arnaoutoglou, C. Chamzas, V. Tsioukas, E. Mpakourou, A. Mexia, “3D digitization of monuments: the case of Mani”, 3rd International Conference on Museology: “Audiovisuals as Cultural Heritage and Their Use in Museums”, 5-9 June 2006, Mytilene-Greece.
· N. Tsirliganis, G. Pavlidis, A. Koutsoudis, D. Papadopoulou, A. Tsompanopoulos, K. Stavroglou, Z. Loukou, C. Chamzas, “Archiving Cultural Objects in the 21st Century”, Journal of Cultural Heritage, vol 5(4) , pp 379-384 (2004).
· Tsirliganis N., Pavlidis G., Koutsoudis A., Papadopoulou D., Tsompanopoulos A., Stavroglou K., Loukou Z., Chamzas C., "Archiving 3D Cultural Objects with Surface Point-Wise Database Information", First International Symposium on 3D Data Proccessing Visualisation and Trasmission, 19–21 June 2002, Padova-Italy.
· N. Tsirliganis, G. Pavlidis, A. Koutsoudis, A. Tsompanopoulos, D. Papadopoulou, Z. Loukou, E. Politou, K. Stavroglou, C. Chamzas, "Integrated Documentation of Cultural Heritage through 3D imaging and multimedia database", VAST2001: Virtual Reality, Archaeology, and Cultural Heritage 28–30 November 2001, Glyfada, Athens-Greece.