Church of Pammegistoi Taxiarches, Kavaki, Xanthi
© Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
Location: The church is located in the Old Town of Xanthi, at the intersection of Euripidou and Orfeos Str.
The monument: It is a three-aisled, timber-roofed basilica with a more recent narthex. The bell tower was probably built in the early 20th century. According to relief inscription standing today on the north wall of the narthex, the church was erected in 1834, most likely over the ruins of an earlier and smaller church that was destroyed by the earthquakes of the year 1829.
There is a very important wooden iconostasis bearing relief decoration with animal and vegetal patterns. Among the rest of the wood-carved furniture of the church, one can admire the pulpit and the icon-stands of Zoodochos Pighi and Aghios Theodoros the Tiron.
The icons of the iconostasis are noteworhty, especially those depicting Christ as the High Priest (1741), or the one depicting Theotokos as Glykofilousa (sweetly kissing, 1741), as well as the altar icon of Archangel Michael (1741). Other icons of the iconostasis, like those of the Three Hierarchs, Sts. Constantine and Helen, and Aghios Charalambos, all made by the icon painter Kyriakos from Ainos, are an important part of the local history.
Among the paintings of the icon-stand, the most interesting is the embroided icon of Archangel Michael, made by the embroideress Aikaterini Boulli, which was dedicated to the church by Sgourof, a Xanthian nobleman.
Βιβλιογραφία: Γ. ΠΛΑΤΑΡΗΣ, Αγιογραφικοί περίπατοι, Θρακικά Χρονικά 3 (1962)• Α. ΓΕΡΟΜΙΧΑΛΟΣ, Ιωακείμ Σγουρός, Μητροπολίτης Ξάνθης και αι αποφάσεις της Δημογεροντίας, Θεσσαλονίκη 1968· Π. Α. ΓΕΩΡΓΑΝΤΖΗΣ, Συμβολή εις την ιστορίαν της Ξάνθης, Ξάνθη 1976• Γ. ΧΡ. ΤΣΙΓΑΡΑΣ, Εκκλησίες της Ιεράς Μητροπόλεως Ξάνθης και Περιθεωρίου, Ξάνθη 2004• Γ. ΧΡ. ΤΣΙΓΑΡΑΣ, Ιερός Ναός Παμμεγίστων Ταξιαρχών Καβακίου Ξάνθης, στο: Θρησκευτικά Μνημεία στο Νομό Ξάνθης, επιμέλεια: Γεώργιος Χρ. Τσιγάρας, Ξάνθη 2005.