Search for

Advanced search
Home 30 May 2023
Culture Religion Monuments Christian Orthodox Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Xanthi Municipality of Xanthi

Under Construction

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Item Coordinates
Νο coordinates       
Roman Catholic
Christian Orthodox
Eastern Macedonia and Thrace
Municipality of Avdera
Municipality of Alexandroupolis
Municipality of Vistonida
Municipality of Didimotihos
Municipality of Doxato
Municipality of Drama
Municipality of Thasos
Municipality of Kato Nevrokopi
Municipality of Komotini
Municipality of Maronia
Municipality of Xanthi
Municipality of Prosotsani
Municipality of Samothraki
Municipality of Sapes
Municipality of Soufli
Municipality of Stavroupolis
Municipality of Sosto
Municipality of Pheres
Municipality of Philippoi
Prefecture of Drama
Prefecture of Evros
Prefecture of Rodopi
Under Construction: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

Monastery of Panaghia Kalamos, Xanthi

Georgios Tsigaras
Source: C.E.T.I.
© Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
print preview

Location: The monastery is located to the north of Xanthi, at an altitude of 170 m.
History: According to tradition, the name of the monastery is associated with the finding of a wonder-working icon of Panaghia into a reed thicket near Kosynthos river. The monastery was probably founded around the 11th century. Information on the history of the monastery is provided in litourgical manuscripts, now kept in Sofia. The monastery flourished after the second half of the 15th century. There are written references to the operation of a workshop for (manuscripts) reproduction since the 16th century. The property of the Monastery increased in the 18th and 19th centuries, although it suffered severe damages due to the earthquakes of the year 1829. The Bulgarians removed the Monastery’s relics and transferred them to Sofia. One of the most interesting relics of the monastery is the altar icon of Panaghia “Kalamiotissa”, which probably dates back to the 16th century as well as the icon of the Dormition of Theotokos, dating to the 19th century. It is a nun monastery.
The Katholikon: The Monastery is dedicated to the Dormition of Theotokos, although it celebrates on August 23rd. The present-day Katholikon imitates the church of Protatos in Mount Athos. It was founded in 1996 and consecrated in 2001 by the Metropolitan of Xanthi and Peritheorion Panteleimon.
Βιβλιογραφία: ΧΡΥΣΟΣΤΟΜΟΣ ΧΑΤΖΗΣΤΑΥΡΟΥ, Κατάλογοι δύο των χειρογράφων των εν Ξάνθη της Θράκης ιερών ενοριακών Μονών Παναγίας Αρχαγγελιωτίσσης και Παναγίας Καλαμούς, Βyzantinische Ζeitschrift 12 (1912)• ΑΝΤΩΝΙΟΣ Μητροπολίτης Ξάνθης, Ιερά Μονή Παναγίας Καλαμούς, Θρακικά Χρονικά 1 (1961)• Α. ΓΕΡΟΜΙΧΑΛΟΣ, Ιωακείμ Σγουρός, Μητροπολίτης Ξάνθης και αι αποφάσεις της Δημογεροντίας, Θεσσαλονίκη 1968· ΣT. ΙΩΑΝΝΙΔΗΣ, Μικρός Οδηγός Ξάνθης (Τουριστικός-Ιστορικός-Αρχαιολογικός), Ξάνθη 1969• Α. ΓΕΡΟΜΙΧΑΛΟΣ, Αι επί Τουρκοκρατίας Δημογεροντίαι. Η Δημογεροντία Ξάνθης, Θεσσαλονίκη 1973· Π. Α. ΓΕΩΡΓΑΝΤΖΗΣ, Συμβολή εις την ιστορίαν της Ξάνθης, Ξάνθη 1976• Σ. ΚΟΚΚΙΝΗΣ, Τα μοναστήρια της Ελλάδος, Οδηγός-Ιστορία-Θησαυροί-Βιβλιογραφία, Αθήνα 1976• Φ. ΤΡΙΑΡΧΗΣ, Η Ξάνθη διά μέσου των αιώνων, Αρχείον Θράκης 39 (1976)• Π. Α. ΓΕΩΡΓΑΝΤΖΗΣ, Τα ιερά Προσκυνήματα της Ξάνθης, Ξάνθη 1980• Αρχιμ. ΠΑΝΤΕΛΕΗΜΩΝ ΜΟΥΤΑΦΗΣ, Μονή Παμμεγίστων Ταξιαρχών Ξάνθης, στο: Θρησκευτικά Μνημεία στο Νομό Ξάνθης, επιμέλεια: Γεώργιος Χρ. Τσιγάρας, Ξάνθη 2005.