Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 05 July 2020
Culture Architecture Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Evros Municipality of Alexandroupolis

Urban planning map of 1878 with Alexandroupolis as the new city of Dedeagats, along with its harbor, other buildings and the new mapping outs.
(Photo: (A. Karadimou Gerolibou. Between East and West: Cities at Northern Greece in the Ottoman reformation period, Trochalia 1997, p.173))
Leontaridios urban school of Alexandroupolis. Built in 1909.
(Photo: CETI)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
Webpage of Xanthi’s Prefecture
Formal webpage of Xanthi’s Prefecture
Webpage of Eastern Macedonia – Thrace Region
Official webpage Eastern Macedonia – Thrace Region

Other files
No other files.
Item Coordinates
Íï coordinates       
Topics
Archaeology
Architecture
History
Mythology
Religion
Folklore -Customs
Personas
Caves
Museums
LOCATION
Eastern Macedonia and Thrace
Municipality of Avdera
Municipality of Alexandroupolis
Municipality of Vistonida
Municipality of Drama
Municipality of Thasos
Municipality of Iasmos
Municipality of Komotini
Municipality of Maronia
Municipality of Metaxades
Municipality of Myki
Municipality of Xanthi
Municipality of Pangeo
Municipality of Samothraki
Municipality of Soufli
Municipality of Pheres
Municipality of Philippoi
Prefecture of Drama
Prefecture of Evros
Prefecture of Kavala
Prefecture of Xanthi
Prefecture of Rodopi
Under Construction: Subtopics All topics
Neoclassic Architecture
Traditional Architecture

25-10-2006
Alexandroupolis

Chrisa Melkidi
Source: C.E.T.I.
© Eastern Macedonia – Thrace Region
print preview

Alexandroupolis has its designation since 1920, after its emancipation from the Turks. It was created in the ends of 19th century on the old village of Dedeagats and as a result of the Ottoman modernization and the regulations imposed by the trade relations with the foreign capitals and not as a result of the Ottoman urban planning activity. The Austrian company of the baron Hirsch undertook the construction of the railroad from Thessaloniki to Constantinople along with the construction of a harbor at Enos, in the east of Evros, that would function as a seaport and outport of Andrianoupolis and the Turkish inland -since boats would came through Evros river to the harbor. The cost for such a port’s construction was too big and the company decided to change its location and built it at the west coast of Evros, 9 kilometers away from it, at the Dedeagats location. The first small core of the new city was created through the beginning of the operation of the railroad and the port in 1872 along with the existence of the railway station, the warehouses, the customs, the buildings of the employees of the Austrian company and the workers. The merchants of Enos moved to the new city where the Greek consular agency was established. The Russians who occupied the city during the Russian-Turkish war (1876-1878), managed to expand the city with the Greeks’ assistance. The Russian applied a European urban design with straight and wide roads, avenues and squares viewing the sea. They also constructed the drainage. When Turks reoccupied Alexandroupolis, it was the first city of the Ottoman Empire that differed in urban design, contrasted to the rest of the traditional Turkish urban design that was daedal and without technostructure. A French company built the famous firehouse and the headquarters of the Ottoman santzaki (prefecture) moved from Didimoticho to Alexandroupolis in 1833. In 1894 the city had 1500 schools. By 1900, schools, churches and administrative buildings were constructed at the western side of the city. We find among them the first Greek school, the Leontaridios Urban School for male students and the Zarifios Pedagogic School (1909) with intense neoclassic morphological elements.

Source: A. Karadimou Gerolibou. Between East and West: Cities at Northern Greece in the Ottoman reformation period, Trochalia 1997, p.173