Tourist Destination of Municipality of Chrysoupoli
© Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace
The Municipality of Chrysoupoli has a population of 15,678 inhabitants. It is seated at Chrysoupoli, a town in the centre of the valley of Nestos, almost 5km from the National Road of Kavala – Xanthi, 25 km from Xanthi, 10 km from the “Alexander the Great” airport and 16 km from the resort of Keramoti. It includes 13 Municipal Districts, the most important being Erateino, Chrysochori, Perni, Petropigi, Pontolivado, Gravouna, Zarkadia and Gerontas.
Due to the important irrigation works at the area, agriculture and livestock farming are the main occupations of the locals. The seat of one of the biggest ceramic industries in Greece is found in Chrysoupoli; there are also small distilleries and handicraft enterprises of clothing and fibres. A 40% of the population is Thracians, another 40% comes from the region of Pontus and the rest originates from Asia Minor and Epirus.
The region of the modern town of Chrysoupoli was occupied by the Ottomans in 1375 – 1376 and was named Sari Sampan. The modern town of Chrysoupoli was created in the mid 19th century, around 1860. It was liberated on June 11, 1913. Since its establishment, it had made great advance in social, economic and cultural fields. It has a small number of buildings, yet, they are beautiful. The bell tower of the church of St Demetrius (1884), the old headquarters (1880-1890) and the building of the Bank of Agriculture (1924) are among the most noteworthy listed buildings.
In the last years, cultural activity in the town follows a course of constant progress. One of the greatest cultural activities is the Popular seven-day Festival of Chrysoupoli.
Nestos river running next to Chrysoupoli is essentially the fountain of life for this region and constitutes the national border between the Prefectures of Kavala and Xanthi. Nestos river is not only the fountain of life for the cultivations but also a potential attraction for tourists.