Tourist Destination Of Municipality of Tychero
© Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace
The Municipality of Tychero is situated in the Prefecture of Evros, 4 km to the west of river Evros and it covers an area of 220 km2; it has a population of 4,067 inhabitants who are mainly occupied in agriculture and livestock farming. Wheat, corn, sunflowers, sugar beet, garden produce and asparagus are its main produce. The municipality includes the villages of Fylakto, Tychero, Thymaria, Lefkimi, Lyra, Provatonas and Tavri. The overwhelming majority of its inhabitants come from two Albanian-speaking villages slightly to the south, on the other side of the river, who settled here in 1922 following the exchange of populations. 60 Greek families from Pontus live in the municipality since 1955. The establishment of the Brigade in the area has led to significant social and economic changes The eco-tourism center of Tychero, a lakeside recreation complex, also operates here; it is a comprehensive, novel and unique recreation complex with a series of lakeside facilities, such as the “Hostel” (Xenonas), a swimming pool, tennis and basketball courts, the Equestrian club with horses for riding, a restaurant, an ecological farm, a sericulture plant and the museum
“Man and Nature” which is presently under construction and shall host the area’s fossils that are 25,000,000 years old.
Visitors may also visit the protected area of the Dadia forest, which includes an eco-tourism center with restaurant. Here many bird species that live only in Southeastern Europe and the Middle East coexist. Of particular interest is the existence of rare birds of prey, such as the Bearded Vulture, the Black Vulture, the Golden Eagle, the Lesser Spotted Eagle, the Short-toed Snake Eagle, etc.
The lacing and embroidery made by women who belong to the municipality’s Women’s Cooperative, are true works of art. “Polykentro”, the cultural enterprise of the Municipality of Tychero was founded in 1991 and is involved in culture and youth initiatives. Its building accommodates the music school for piano and harmonium, the philharmonic orchestra, the municipal radio station and the municipal library. It is responsible for organising events and festivals and for this purpose it has developed an inter-Balkan cooperation network.
On Boxing Day, the Kortopoula custom is performed at Fylakto. Easter at Lefkimi is spent dancing, singing and eating akatmades. Chicken crepes, the so-called akatmades, are served. After Easter mass, a feast is held at Lyra where the traditional kourbani (lamb cooked with rice) is served. At the end of July the Cultural Society of Lyra organises a festival in honour of its emigrants. One of the area’s oldest and biggest trade fairs is held at Tychero on 29 August. Mass at the old chapel of St George at Tavri is followed by the roasting of lambs and feasting. At Lefkimi on 8 September and at the small church of Stavrou on 14 September, bread and flowers are handed out after mass.
Visitors may also visit the Handicraft Center at Fylakto, where woven textiles by the women of the Cooperative are on display. The courtyard is adorned with tree trunks. The Municipality of Tychero is changing; it is donning the colours of development while preserving its traditional character.