Schools in Komotini
© Region of Eastern Macedonia- Thrace
In the Greek-speaking community of Komotini there were schools that were maintained with great difficulty because the residents were poor. More precisely, in the city of Komotini in early 1880s there functioned 1 ‘’Greek’’ school, 2 monitorial ones’, and 2 girls’ schools. In 1882 1 Kindergarten was added to the above number of schools . Later, we observe the operation of one ‘’Urban’’ school that ran with donations given by the wealthy tobacco merchant N . Tsanaklis.
Konstantinos A. Vakalopoulos, History of the Greater Thrace: From the Earlier Phase of the Ottoman Rule till our Days, Ant. Stamoulis Editions 2004, p. 357.