Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 10 August 2020
Culture Archaeology Archaeological Sights Settlements Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Kavala Municipality of Philippoi

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
The history of Philippoi
Official webpage of the Municipality of Philippoi refering to Dikili Tas.
The archaeological site of Philippoi.
Official webpage of the Municipality of Philippoi . Description of Dikili Tas.

Other files
No other files.
Item Coordinates
coordinates       
Topics
Markets
Theatres
Altars
Dwellings
Settlements
Athletic Excercise Facilities
Under Construction
Under Construction
LOCATION
Eastern Macedonia and Thrace
Municipality of Avdera
Municipality of Aigiros
Municipality of Alexandroupolis
Municipality of Arrianes
Municipality of Vissa
Municipality of Didimotihos
Municipality of Drama
Municipality of Eleftheres
Municipality of Thasos
Municipality of Iasmos
Municipality of Komotini
Municipality of Maronia
Municipality of Xanthi
Municipality of Samothraki
Municipality of Sapes
Municipality of Sitagres
Municipality of Sosto
Municipality of Topiros
Municipality of Traianoupolis
Municipality of Pheres
Municipality of Philippoi
Municipality of Philira
Under Construction: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

20/12/2007
Dikili Tas

Despoina Skoulariki
Source: C.E.T.I.
© Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace
print preview

The prehistoric settlement of Dikili Tas lies on a low hill, two kilometres to the east of Philippi. It was named after an inscribed pedestal of the Roman official C. Vibius Quartus that is preserved at a short way from the site, popularly known as the Large Jar.
The first excavations were carried out at the site in the early 1960s, while systematic research and study of the site has been conducted by the French Archaeological School and the Archaeological Society at Athens since the 1980s.
The excavations brought to light many finds, which are characteristic of the culture of this prehistoric settlement, like anthropomorphic figurines, tools and jewellery that bear witness to the existence of life from the Middle Neolithic Age (5000 4500 BC) to the late Bronze Age (3200 1100 BC). The settlement was inhabited until the Early Iron Age (1059 900 BC), when it was deserted.
The finds of the excavations are now exhibited in the Archaeological Museums of Philippi and Kavala.