Tsinar Mosque, Xanthi
© Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
Location: The mosque is located in the Asa quarter.
The Monument: It was named after the platanus (Çinar) that stands at its entrance. The mosque was founded by a person named Çıplak Hüseyin Ağa, who built the mosque and dedicated his property to it in 1189/1775
The mosque consists of two rooms: the main hall and a L-shaped room on the left resembling to the Yeni Cami in Komotini. The mihrab bears a barroque-style relief stucco decoration with folklore elements. The minaret is constructed with highly elaborated white marble standing over a right-angled base.
On the north-western side of the mosque, there is a cemetery surrounded by a short wall. Among the graves, there is a monument dedicated to Hanife Hanım, mother of Çıplak Hüseyin Ağa and that of his daughter. It is worth mentioning that the founder’s grave does not exist.
Βιβλιογραφία: Μ. Kiel, Observations on the History of Northern Greece during the Ottoman Rule – The Turkish Monuments of Komotini and Serres, Balkan Studies 12 (1971)• E. H. AYVERDI, Avrupa’da Osmanli mimarî eserleri, 6, İstanbul 1982. Dede, Rumelin’de Bırakılandar (Bati Trakya Türkleri), İstanbul 1975• N. ÇAM, Yunanistan’daki Türk eserleri, Turkish Monuments in Grecce, Ankara 2000• M. ΣΤΕΦΑΝΙΔΗΣ, Τα Τεμένη της Θράκης. Εισαγωγή στην αισθητική του Ισλάμ, Αθήνα χχ.• E. ΣΕΡΗΦ – Γ. ΣΕΡΗΦ ΔΑΜΑΝΤΟΓΛΟΥ, Τσινάρ Τζαμί Ξάνθης, στο: Θρησκευτικά Μνημεία στο Νομό Ξάνθης, επιμέλεια: Γεώργιος Χρ. Τσιγάρας, Ξάνθη 2005.