The educational activity in the city of Kavala at the turn of 19th century until the beginning of the 20th
© Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace
Since the turn of the 19th century until the beginning of the 20th we observe a big growth for the establishment of schools in the region of Macedonia. During this period in the city of Kavala there functioned two ‘’urban’’ schools, one for boys and one for girls. The term ‘’urban’’ schools denotes, according to a Bill signed by the Minister of Education called Milisis,the higher level of education that consisted of schools with two-grades which followed the four- grade primary ones and were proposed by the Bill to be of two types: one for boys and one for girls. At the turn of 19th century both the boys’ and the girls’ schools had 8 grades each.
Dalakoura Katerina, The ‘’ Central Girls’ school’’ in Thessaloniki (1854-1914). A first approach of the girls’ education in Thessaloniki during the last period of Ottoman Rule . Kyriakidis Brothers (Editors), Thessaloniki 2000, pp. 47-48.
Ziogou- Karastergiou Sidiroula, The Intermediate Girls’ Education in Greece (1830-1893),The Historical Archives for the Greek Youth, Athens 1986, pp. 287-288.